Strong UV radiation can also endanger the eyes, so it is important not only to consider aesthetic aspects when choosing sunglasses. Good sunglasses must provide protection against the harmful effects of solar radiation. UV rays are not only harmful to the skin, but can also cause many eye diseases. Due to the thinning of the ozone layer, short-wave UV rays can reach our eyes almost unhindered. Some of the harmful rays reach the earth's surface even in cloudy weather, so we should wear sunglasses in this case as well. Contact lens wearers are also recommended to wear sunglasses, as even if the lens is equipped with UV protection, it only covers a small part of the eye. Those who have to wear glasses due to vision problems should wear dioptric sunglasses (or sunglasses with dioptric inserts).
- SALICE sunglasses are guaranteed to meet the safety requirements defined by European directives.
- - Filter category (from 0-4):
- Category 0: clear or slightly tinted lens
- Category 1: slightly tinted lens, recommended for use in partly cloudy weather
- Category 2: medium tinted lens, recommended for use in average sunlight
- Category 3: dark lens, recommended for use in strong sunlight
- Category 4: very dark lens, recommended for wearing in exceptionally strong sunlight. Not suitable for highway driving! Sunglasses with a visible light transmission of less than 8% must be classified as category 4 and must not be used for driving, as they can be dangerous. This must be indicated on these glasses, as is the case with all category 4 sunglasses and all sunglasses that for some reason are not suitable for driving on the highway.
- Thanks to various advanced surface treatments, the lenses are resistant to external influences (scratches, sweat or harmful effects caused by chemicals, etc.).
- Maximum comfort! Thanks to the large selection of frames and models, you are sure to find the most comfortable glasses for you.
- The size of the sunglasses: Since the sun's rays can also enter the eyes from the side, sunglasses with small, round lenses do not provide sufficient protection. Let's choose between curved sports glasses or models with large lenses!
- Choose sunglasses that limit your field of vision and vision as little as possible.
- Sunglasses for sports:
- It is especially important for climbers or hikers in the mountains that sunglasses protect the eyes from the side as well.
- For jogging or longer walks, running, cycling, it is recommended to choose glasses in which the face can ventilate well.
- Sports glasses are expected to be made of light material, shatterproof, comfortable and fit well to our face, ears and bridge of the nose.
- They should be made of skin-friendly material and should not corrode.
- Ideally, the lenses of sports glasses are unbreakable plastic, they are very light and difficult to get dirty. Since they are difficult to break, the risk of eye injuries is also lower.
- Curved sunglasses not only protect the side of the eye from UV light, but also from dust, condensed water and small pebbles.
- Wearing sports glasses can be made even safer with an eyeglass strap.
The advantages of the polarized - or correctly "polar filter" lens
Sunlight spreads in waves, which vibrate in all directions of the three-dimensional space. Polarized light also propagates, but mostly in two directions: horizontally and vertically. Vertical light conveys useful information to the human eye, allowing us to see colors and contrasts. In contrast, horizontal light is so-called it causes "optical confusion" and is blinding, but at the same time it is unnecessary from the point of view of the seen image. The human eye cannot separate the horizontal and vertical rays that make up the light.
"Polarized" lenses receive a special "polar filter" that absorbs horizontal rays of light - which can cause glare and distortion of the image seen - but vertical rays pass through freely. Polarized lenses provide better vision with accurate color and contrast perception and also provide a more comfortable feeling as they prevent glare caused by shiny surfaces.
The advantages of sunglasses with polar filters (polarized lenses) are therefore:
• no more blinding light,
• light vision improves and contrasts become sharper,
• colors can be enjoyed excellently, they will be more vibrant.
Photochromic lenses (CRX Photochromic)
Perhaps the most popular and sought-after lenses today. Not by chance!
These lenses are made of light-sensitive materials that are able to modify their chemical structure under the influence of the light that hits them, thus reacting to the light conditions. In the basic case, completely transparent lenses darken under the influence of the incoming light and lighten up again as soon as the environment gets darker again!
Just imagine that you no longer have to take off your glasses while biking or running in the forest!
Of course, these lenses also - following the requirements prescribed by EU rules - filter harmful UV radiation and are equipped with the appropriate coatings for better scratch resistance and cleanability. The majority of CRX lenses are made in the most popular smoke gray color, but orange or brown versions are also available for some models.
These lenses change their transmission value between 1-3 according to the filter category.
TECNA is a new generation lens specially developed for mountain sports. Its base color is a mixture of yellow and brown, which sharpens the contrast of the seen image and provides a greater sense of depth and space. It protects the eyes from direct sunlight and from the highly blinding radiation reflected from smooth surfaces, snow or ice. Thanks to the surface treatment that eliminates internal reflection, light rays coming from behind do not reflect off the lens, so they do not enter the eye. It provides easier vision, protects the eyes even in extreme conditions, and gives the wearer a sharp image. Indispensable during high mountain sports!
Filter category: 4. QUATTRO lenses
Also lenses developed for mountain sports. If you can't settle for anything less than the top attack and the protection of your eyes that is important in really extreme conditions, then a QUATTRO glasses is your choice! They also provide maximum filtration (filtering category 4), and the special smoke gray tinted lenses have a gentle effect on the human eye against strong reflected radiation (from snow or icy surfaces). The slatted coating on the exterior mirror also further reduces their blinding effect.
Filter category: 4. HC High Contrast - lenses using contrast-enhancing technology
During all kinds of sports activities, the lenses using the new HC technology providing a more contrasty image provide outstanding performance! Sharper image, perfect colors - of course without distortion!
The table below shows the classification of lenses into filter categories